Bereavement Support Groups
Grieving the Loss of a Loved One? Here are support groups in our area.
We have compiled this list of support organizations in the hope they may be of assistance to you and your family in working through the grief process. If we can be of assistance to your family in any way, do not hesitate to contact us.
- SURVIVORS OF SUICIDE: A monthly self-help group which provides members with an experience of healing with other survivors. For more information call 215-545-2242, email email@example.com, or visit their website at: http://www.sosphilly.org/support-group-locations.html
Chester County PA: Meets 2nd Wednesday, 7:30 PM, 255 West Lancaster Avenue, Paoli, PA.
Lower Bucks County PA – Meets 4th Tuesday, 7:30 PM, Aria Health, Bucks County – 380 N. Oxford Valley Road, Langhorne, PA.
Central Bucks County PA – Meets 2nd Tuesday, 7:30-9PM, St. Paul’s United Methodist Church – Lancaster Pike (Route 30), 2131 Palomino Drive Warrington, PA 18976.
Philadelphia, PA – Meets 1st Tuesday, 7:30 PM, (Center City/University City), 3535 Market St., Room 2037, Philadelphia, PA.
Montgomery County PA – Meets 1st Wednesday, 7:30PM, Bryn Mawr Hospital – Bryn Mawr Ave. & County Line Rd., Bryn Mawr, PA.
Philadelphia, PA (Northeast) – Meets 2nd Tuesday, 7:30 PM, Aria Heath/Torresdale Campus, Conference Room #4 – Knights and Red Lion Roads, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19154.
- UNITE: A non-profit organization providing grief-support following the death of a baby: miscarriage, ectopic pregnancy, stillbirth, and infant death. For information, call Gerri Wismer, RN at Lankenau Hospital, 1-484-758-0002, email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or you can visit their website at: http://unitegriefsupport.org/pennsylvania-groups. No fee for attendance.
UNITE, Huntingdon Valley, PA – Meets 3rd Thursday, 7:00-9:00 PM, Holy Redeemer Hospital, 1648 Huntingdon Pike, Meadowbrook, PA 19046 Contact: Denise Paul or Liz Steward, 484-758-0002.
UNITE, Philadelphia, PA – Meets 3rd Tuesday, 7:00-8:30PM, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, 3400 Spruce St, Philadelphia, PA 19104 Contact: Michelle Ferrant, 484-758-0002.
UNITE, Wynnewood, PA – Meets 3rd Tuesday, 7:30-9:00PM, Lankenau Hospital Medical Center, 100 E Lancaster Ave, Wynnewood, PA 19096 Contact: Paris Margaritis, 484-758-0002.
UNITE, Paoli, PA – Meets 2nd Monday, 7:00-8:30PM, Paoli Point Medical Center, Next to Hospital Contact: Susan McAndrews and Geraldine Donaher, 484-758-0002.
UNITE, Philadelphia, PA – Meets 1st Tuesday, 6:30-8:30PM, Pennsylvania Hospital, 800 Spruce St., Philadelphia, PA 19107 Contact: Karen Donnelly and Kelly Colby, 484-758-0002.
UNITE, Media, PA – Meets 2nd Thursday, 7:00-8:30PM, Riddle Memorial Hospital, 1068 W Baltimore Pike, Media, PA 19063 Contact: Regina Fazio and Sheila McCabe, 484-758-0002.
- WISSAHICKON HOSPICE OF THE UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA HEALTH SYSTEM: Provides free bereavement support program for spouses, partners, members of the LGBTQIA+ community, and for children up to 18 who have experienced the loss of a relative, friend, or loved one. Call: (610) 617-2400 or (800) 700-8807. You can also visit their website at: www.pennmedicine.org
- CHILDREN & FAMILIES BEREAVEMENT RESOURCES: List of bereavement resources for those that have lost children or family members.
Alcove Center for Grieving Children and Families, Galloway, NJ – Provides Individual and Family therapy, Hope & Healing Peer Support Groups, Therapeutic and Supervised Visitation Services, as well as School Outreach Programs. Contact 609-484-1133 or visit their website at: https://thealcove.org/
Uplift Center for Grieving Children, Philadelphia, PA – Offers free peer-to-peer grief support groups to youth, grades kindergarten through 12th grade, and their adult caregiver after the death of a loved one. All services are free. 3300 Henry Ave., Suite 102, Philadelphia, PA 19129. Contact Philly HopeLine at 1-833-745-4673, call 267-437-3123 or visit their website at: https://upliftphilly.org/.
Peter’s Place, Radnor, PA – Peter’s Place is a center for grieving families and young adults. Offers services to connect families that have had similar experiences. Contact 610-687-5150, email email@example.com, or visit their website: https://petersplaceonline.org/peer-support-groups-at-center/
Jewish Family and Children’s Service of Greater Philadelphia – Offers bereavement support groups for families and individuals in mourning. Contact 866-532-7669 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Samaritan Life-Enhancing Care, South NJ – Offers may types of free support groups that are led by professional bereavement specialists. To view the list and register visit samaritannj.org/resources/grief-support-groups-south-nj/ or call 856-596-8550 to register.
- COUNSELING NETWORK FOR LOSS AND TRANSITION: For information call 215-624-8190 or email Deborah K. Gawthrop, MS, GMS, at email@example.com
General Bereavement Support Group (Levittown) – Meets on the 3rd Wednesday evening from 7:00-8:30PM, at the James J. Dougherty Funeral Home, (September through May).
General Bereavement Support Group (Northeast Philadelphia) – Meets on the 1st Wednesday from 7:00-8:30PM, at Lambie Funeral Home, (October through June).
General Bereavement Support Group (Glenside) – Meets six Tuesday evenings from 7:00-8:30PM, in the fall and spring at St. Luke the Evangelist Chapel House, Glenside.
Support Group for Widows & Widowers (Glenside) – Meets six Wednesday afternoons from 1:30-2:45PM, in the fall and spring at the James J. Dougherty Funeral Home.
Support Group for Widows & Widowers (Roxborough) – Meets six Tuesday afternoons from 1:30-2:45PM in the fall and spring at the Koller Funeral Home.
- FAMILY & PLAY THERAPY CENTER: Offers play therapy and family counseling to the bereaved, as well as workshops and referrals. Family and Play Therapy Center – 6811 Quincy Street, Philadelphia, PA 19119 Office Manager: Call: 215-844-4321, ext. 2 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- FOX CHASE CANCER CENTER: For information about their many support groups please call 215-728-2676, contact Sheila Amrhein, MSW, LCSW, at 215-728-2853, or contact Beth Smith, CRNP, at 215-728-4745. You can also visit their website at: https://www.foxchase.org/support/counseling-support/support-groups/bereavement-support-group. A children’s support group is available for cancer related deaths. All groups meet at Fox Chase Cancer Center – 7701 Burholme Ave., Philadelphia, PA.
- KEYSTONE HOSPICE: Keystone continually offers support groups and workshops for anyone grieving the loss of a loved one. All programs are open to families of Keystone patients as well as everyone in the community and are offered free of charge. Pre-registration is required. 215-528-4300, email email@example.com, or register online at keystonecare.com/new-bereavement-support-group/
- “LEARNING TO LIVE AFTER LOSS” A JEWISH FAMILY LIFE EDUCATIONAL PROGRAM: New programs are forming. If the program you need is not listed, call anyway! Sponsored by Goldsteins’ Rosenberg’s Raphael-Sacks. All groups have a $10.00 registration fee, and pre-registration is required. For information, call Sylvia Zisserman, 1-866-JFCSNOW (1-866-532-7669) or visit their website: https://jfcsphilly.org/jfcs-giving-market/bereavement-support-group/.
- ANGELIC HEALTH: Angelic Health has materials and readings in a Greif Support Kit that you can find at their website, https://www.angelic.health/community-resources.html or you can call Angelic Health at 844-948-0645 and ask to be put in touch with a bereavement coordinator.
- ABINGTON MEMORIAL HOSPITAL SUPPORT GROUPS
First Steps: Beginning the Journey – A general bereavement support group. Meets in the evening in the Willowood Building at the Abington Health Center – Willow Grove. The program is educational as well as provides a support component. To attend, please call to register 215-441-6842.
Younger Widow/Widower Bereavement Support Group – Meets in the evening at the Abington Health Center – Willow Grove. Call for more information or to register at 215-441-6842.
Remembering Mom – A Pre-Mother’s Day, evening program for adult children who have lost their mother. For additional information or to register, please call 215-441-6842.
- THE CENTER FOR GRIEF AND LOSS AT SAMARITAN HOSPICE: Offers a wide variety of specialized grief support groups to the public at no cost to help family and friends cope with the loss of a loved one. Website: https://samaritannj.org/resources/grief-support-groups-south-nj/
The Grieving Heart – A monhtly drop-in group for anyone over 18 who has lost a family member or friend. Meets the 2nd Saturday of every month at 10:00AM, at Virtua Mount Holly. To register please call 1-800-596-8550.
Grieving The Love Of Your Life – For those grieving the loss of a spouse or partner. Please call 1-800-596-8550 for the next meeting date.
Big Hurts, Little Tears – A play/grief group for children ages 3-5 years old. Please call 1-800-596-8550 for the next meeting date.
Bereaved Parents – For anyone who has lost a child. Please call 1-800-596-8550 for the next meeting date.
- THE CENTER FOR LOSS AND BEREAVEMENT: Provides grief counseling for individuals and families, support groups for bereaved children, and community education. 3847 Skippack Pike, PO Box 1299, Skippack, PA 19474 Call: (610) 222-4110, Website: http://www.bereavementcenter.org/
Young Adult Loss – For those ages post high school – 28 years who have experienced a significant loss. Meets every other Wednesday, 7:00-8:15PM.
Loss of Child – For parents who have experienced the death of a child as an older teen or adult. Meets 2nd Monday of the month, 7:00-8:15PM.
Younger Loss of Spouse or Partner (Six-Weeks Group) – For adults who have experienced the death of a spouse or partner who may still have children living at home. Please call for more information.
Mature Loss of Spouse or Partner (Six-Weeks Group) – For adults who have experienced the death of a spouse or partner and may not have children still living at home. Please call for more information.
Adult Loss of a Parent (Six-Weeks Group) – For those adults who have experienced the death of a parent or parent figure. Please call for more information.
Adult Loss of a Sibling (Six-Weeks Group) – For those adults who have experienced the death of a brother or sister. Please call for more information.
Support for Suicide Loss (Six-Weeks Group) – For adults who have experienced the death of a loved one due to suicide. Please call for more information.
- THE COMPASSIONATE FRIENDS – SUPPORTING FAMILY AFTER A CHILD DIES: A National Organization that aims to provide support and bereavement services for family and friends who have suffered the loss of a child. To find out more about national chapters, please visit compassionatefriends.org
Abington Chapter – Meets 1st Monday, 7:00PM, Grace Presbyterian Church – 444 York Road, Jenkintown, PA 19046. Call: 215-674-0309
Bustleton Chapter – Meets 3rd Monday, 7:00PM (2nd Monday in January & February), 2060 Red Lion Road, Philadelphia, PA 19115. Call: 215-396-0460 Email; firstname.lastname@example.org
Valley Forge Chapter – Meets 1st Thursday, 7:45PM, Good Shepherd Lutheran Church – 132 E. Valley Forge Road, King of Prussia, PA 19406. Call: 484-919-0820 · Email: email@example.com · Website: http://www.tcfvalleyforge.org/
NE Philadelphia Chapter – Meets 4th Thursday, 7:00PM, Our Lady of Calvary Church (School Building) – 11024 Knights Road, Philadelphia, PA 19136. Call 609-264-1179 · Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Philadelphia Temple University Chapter – Meets 1st Thursday, 5:30PM, 3401 North Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA 19140. Call: 267-246-9574 · Email: email@example.com